Time & Location
Apr 18, 2023, 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Alameda, 707 W Hornet Ave, Alameda, CA 94501, USA
About the event
The STEM to Stern Program allows students to see how science, technology, engineering, and mathematics apply to the operational functions of a World War II aircraft carrier. The historic surroundings of USS Hornet offer a one-of-a-kind learning environment for exploring these concepts by giving students perspective on modern technology by offering a comparison to the past.
Students can investigate how thermodynamics and electromagnetism allowed the USS Hornet to use seawater to power the ship while cruising the ocean. They can learn how waves are used to track objects and communicate on board as well as between ships and aircraft. They can also see how hydraulics and simple machines, wind, and the ship itself helped launch a 19,000-lb jet off the flight deck, as well as how pilots and sailors use vector mathematics to plot a course.
We will be split into two groups. One will be for 12 students in grades K-2 and the other will be for 12 students in
grades 3-8. Here is a description belwo of each program.
Take Flight! (Grades K-3) SOLD OUT
Find out what causes weather and hear tales of the 1945 typhoon that crippled Hornet’s Flight Deck and Fo’c’sle and changed naval architecture. Learn the basics of aviation and discover how weather affects navigation on the sea and in the air by plotting a new course for the ship that allows the planes to take advantage of the wind and then launch your own gliders on the Flight Deck.
Ship Shape! ( Grades 4-8) SOLD OUT
Explore the ship and the STEM concepts behind her structure and systems. See up-close the amazing machinery that powered the ship and launched aircraft, as well as learn the engineering story of the Apollo missions.
The program includes a tour of the ship with a hands-on STEM activity selected from the following topics:
- Electromagnetism and Electricity
After that, you have the options to enjoy lunch on the Flight Deck and then resume your adventure in the afternoon with a docent-led tour where you can visit additional spaces of the ship to learn more about the history of the USS Hornet.
Personalized Dog Tags made on site are included for each student
Price per student $33
Price per Adult $26
Educator Package: Includes educational resources, interactive project ideas, direct experiential opportunities to help better connect the experience with your students and complimentary chaperone ticket.
- AGE/GRADE REQUIREMENTS: K -12th
- ALLERGY ALERT: Please let us know right away if your student has a food allergy so we can make any necessary arrangements.
- CHAPERONE POLICY FOR TEACHER-LED FIELD TRIPS: An adult chaperone is required to accompany student(s) on a field trip regardless of the student(s)' age or grade level(s).
- FOOD/DRINK RESTRICTIONS: No food or drink allowed inside the museum but you will be able to eat on the Flight Deck. We will be breaking for lunch so do make sure to have a packed lunch and plenty of water.
- MEETING INSTRUCTIONS: Please allow yourself enough time to get there and park. We will be meeting at the museum entrance.
- BACKPACKS: The ladders are steep going between decks so for your safety, do not to bring aboard bags that exceed 12 x 8 x 12 inches. All oversize bags should remain in your vehicle, though lockers are available for rent at the Admissions Desk. Please note: for safety reasons, backpack-style infant carriers are also not permitted.
- FLASHLIGHTS: Flashlights are a good item to have with you on the tour, so make sure to bring a good one with fresh batteries!
- WHAT TO WEAR: Wear comfortable, closed-toed walking shoes as most all of the decks are made of steel and there is a lot of ship to see! Consider layers as some parts of the ship can be cold regardless of weather.
- CAMERAS: are welcome but must have neck or wrist strap. Personal photography is allowed throughout the ship though the Museum does not allow professional equipment without advanced reservations
- PARKING INSTRUCTIONS: There is plenty of free parking across the street. Please, no vehicles on the pier (exceptions are made for those with valid disability placards).
- SICK POLICY: To ensure the health and safety of all attendees, please do not attend a field trip if you or your student(s) is ill or showing possible signs of illness.
- CANCELLATION/REFUND POLICY: Tickets for field trips will remain on sale until sold out or at the cut off date listed on the event, whichever comes first. Changes to your order can be made only while the field trip is open. Once a field trip closes, we are unable to offer refunds. Issues with orders such as insufficient or incomplete funds withdrawal may be subject to cancellation.
- RELEASE OF LIABILTY: When registering, make sure to read and understand the Release of Liabiliy Policy before submitting your order.
If you are a parent using charter school funds, you will still need to register here for the event in order to hold your spot. Use the coupon code listed below when checking out. You will also need to put in your order with your charter school. They will reach out to us with your request and this will confirm your field trip reservation.
Charter Coupon Code: CHARTER
Student/EducatorFrom $26.00 to $33.00