Wed, Apr 24|
(SOLD OUT) The Skunk Train
Time & Location
Apr 24, 2024, 11:00 AM
Fort Bragg, 100 W Laurel St, Fort Bragg, CA 95437, USA
About the event
This relaxed and scenic 7-mile roundtrip journey departs the Depot in downtown Fort Bragg, traveling along the beautiful Pudding Creek Estuary and passing into primeval ancient redwoods to the tranquil setting of Glen Blair Junction. Trains will stop at Glen Blair Junction for roughly 30 minutes, allowing you to get off and stretch your legs and explore. Or, if you’d like to spend more time walking the trails amongst the redwoods, you can remain and catch the next train (roughly two hours later). Plenty of time to explore. Feel free to bring a packed lunch to enjoy at one of the picnic tables.
These were some of the first tracks ever laid down by the California Western Railroad in 1885, and the historic trains have been carrying passengers on them ever since. They operate both Diesel-Electric engines and their #45 Baldwin 2-8-2 Mikado Steam Engine, the Super Skunk. These engines pull passenger cars, including a bar car with snacks and drinks as well as an open air car, perfect for enjoying all this route has to offer.
This 7-mile roundtrip takes you over the first tracks laid down by the California Western Railroad, and along the beautiful Pudding Creek Estuary. Your journey includes:
25 minutes to Glen Blair Junction by train Stop at Glen Blair Junction for 20-35 minutes Return to Fort Bragg 25 minutes
The powerful diesel locomotives of the Skunk's fleet will be pulling passenger cars and an open-air car. Trains will stop at Glen Blair Junction, allowing you to get off and stretch your legs and explore. Or, if you'd like to spend more time walking our trails amongst the redwoods, you can remain and catch the next train back (roughly two hours later).
Feel free to bring a packed lunch to enjoy at one of the picnic tables.
Common wildlife sightings include blue heron, egrets, osprey, ducks, and the occasional lounging turtle.
Educator Package: Includes educational resources, interactive project ideas, trip organization, direct experiential opportunities to help better connect the experience with your students, and complimentary chaperone ticket.
Student Package: Includes engaging pre and post educational visit activities, trip organization and student ticket.
- AGE/GRADE REQUIREMENTS: Field trip is for grades K-12
- ALLERGY ALERT: Please let us know right away if your student has a food allergy so we can make any necessary arrangements
- CANCELLATION/REFUND POLICY: Once a field trip is SOLD OUT or has reached it's cut off date, we are unable to offer refunds.
- CHAPERONE POLICY: A parent chaperone is required to be present with their student on our field trips regardless of student age or grade level. Upon registering you MUST INCLUDE all attending, including any additional parents/chaperones or siblings.
- FOOD/DRINK RESTRICTIONS: Food and water is allowed. Snacks are also available for purchase on the train.
- MEETING INSTRUCTIONS: We will meet outside the entrance. An email with meetup instructions will be sent out a week prior to our event
- PARKING INSTRUCTIONS: There is plenty of parking onsite.
- SICK POLICY: Please do not attend a field trip if you or your student is sick or showing possible signs of illness.
- RELEASE OF LIABILTY: When registering, make sure to read and understand the Release of Liabiliy Policy before submitting your order
If you are a parent using charter school funds, you will still need to register here for the event in order to hold your spot. Use the coupon code listed below when checking out. You will also need to put in your order with your charter school. They will reach out to us with your request and this will confirm your field trip reservation.
Charter Coupon Code: CHARTER
- Ticket type
Package TypePriceFrom $44.00 to $47.00
- Student Package$44.00
- Educator Package$47.00