Fri, Nov 17|
(SOLD OUT) Petroglyph Ceramic Lounge
Come inside and let your experience begin. Paint your own masterpiece and learn about the glazing, firing and cooling process it will go through to completion.
Time & Location
Nov 17, 2023, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Roseville, Rocky Ridge Town Center, 2030 Douglas Blvd STE 26, Roseville, CA 95661, USA
About the event
Enjoy this hands on experience while learning about the glazing, firing and cooling process your ceramic masterpiece will go through to completion! Our field trip will also include a private tour of the kiln room.
1. Choose your piece
Select from an ecclectic array of of ceramic pieces, from simple dinnerware, plates, bowls and mugs, to figurines, fairy castles and jewelry boxes.
2. Pick your paint
Step up to our paint kiosk! There are more than 80 vibrant colors to choose from, a huge assortment of brushes and tools, and all the creative resources you'll need to bring your idea to life.
Let the fun begin. Jump in and get painting. Let your creativity run wild.
When you’re done painting – which can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours – staff will glaze your piece, then fire it on-site in their professional ceramic kilns.
Your piece will need to dry fully, which allows colors to be their brightest after firing. Next, it is dipped in glaze. The glaze is actually liquid glass. It gets molten in the high temperatures of the kiln and is what creates the shiny, glassy finish.
Once glazed, your piece will be loaded into the kiln to be fired. Kiln temperatures reach an excess of 1800 degrees, and pieces are fired up to 8 hours. The firing time is determined by the size and number of pieces in the kiln. Once the firing is complete, the cooling process begins.
The cooling time is double the firing time. Typically, it takes up to 16 hours for pieces to cool to room temperature. When pieces are unloaded from the kiln, staff carefully hand polishes off any sharp bits of glaze that sometimes form during the firing process.
This is all part of the professional process that brings your beautiful, food-safe piece of ceramic art to reality. Most pieces can be picked up 2-3 days after you finish painting. The specific date and time that your piece will be ready for pick-up will be given to you prior to leaving.
*The paints and glazes used are all approved as lead-free and food-safe. This means that no toxins leech into the foods and liquids that come in contact with the surfaces. In general, earthenware such as the kind you paint at Petroglyph is microwave safe, but not for ovens. Large and quick shifts in temperature can cause ceramics to crack and are not recommended.
Educator Package: Includes educational resources, interactive project ideas, direct experiential opportunities to help better connect the experience with your students and complimentary chaperone ticket. Does not include a student ticket.
Student Package: Includes engaging pre and post educational visit activities, trip organization and student ticket.
**Due to limited seating in the lounge, only those registered will be able to attend.
- AGE/GRADE REQUIREMENTS: Field trip is for grades K-12
- ALLERGY ALERT: Please let us know right away if your student has a food allergy so we can make any necessary arrangements
- CANCELLATION/REFUND POLICY: Once a field trip is SOLD OUT or has reached it's cut off date, we are unable to offer refunds.
- CHAPERONE POLICY: A parent chaperone is required to be present with their student on our field trips regardless of student age or grade level. Upon registering you MUST INCLUDE all attending, including any additional parents/chaperones or siblings.
- FOOD/DRINK RESTRICTIONS: Food and drinks are allowed inside. There are also tables outside for eating as well.
- MEETING INSTRUCTIONS: Please gather at entrance by 9:45. Please be on time as we will be starting our field trip together as a group promptly at 10am
- PARKING INSTRUCTIONS: There is plenty of on-site parking
- SICK POLICY: Please do not attend a field trip if you or your student is sick or showing possible symptoms of illness.
- RELEASE OF LIABILTY: When registering, make sure to read and understand the Release of Liabiliy Policy before submitting your order
If you are a parent using charter school funds, you will still need to register here for the event in order to hold your spot. Use the coupon code listed below when checking out. You will also need to put in your order with your charter school. They will reach out to us with your request and this will confirm your field trip reservation.
Charter Coupon Code: CHARTER