Fri, Feb 23|
(SOLD OUT) Channel Islands National Park Guided Tour
Take a boat to a Santa Cruz Island for a guided tour during the Gray whale migration and spend the day learning about the history, ecology and geology from an island naturalist while hiking and exploring the beaches!
Time & Location
Feb 23, 2024, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Ventura, 1691 Spinnaker Dr #105B, Ventura, CA 93001, USA
About the event
This is an ALL DAY excursion to Santa Cruz Island, the largest of all the Channel Islands. At over 24 miles long and six miles at its widest, Santa Cruz is over 62,000 acres (96 square miles) and has 77 miles of shoreline. Santa Cruz Island lies approximately 20 miles offshore from Ventura Harbor.
Located on the east end of Santa Cruz Island, our guided tour will include Scorpion Ranch, a unique location to study science themes such as native and endemic organisms, introduced species, geology, and the marine environment. Scorpion Ranch has a long and interesting history of human activities including the site of one of the largest Chumash villages on the Channel Islands. Social science themes include Native American inhabitants, explorers, and the ranching period.
East Santa Cruz Island is rich with cultural history, and feels like a step back in time. Old ranch buildings still stand just off the main beach. One building has been converted into a Visitor's Center. Prior to the ranching era, the Chumash Indians inhabited this same valley. There are archaeological sites as well as current activities that document their connection to the place they know as "Limuw."
As the largest island in California, there is great diversity in the geology and topography. Starting at the cobblestone beach, moving up to wave cut terraces, and continuing on to mountainous peaks. Besides the beautiful vistas that overlook the Santa Barbara Channel and all its rich marine diversity. The island is host to a very unique habitat of plants and animals found nowhere else in the world. It is fairly common to see the endemic Santa Cruz Island Fox along the trails at Scorpion.
There is also always an opportunity to see wildlife en-route to the islands, including whales and dolphins! Once ashore, students will have a lunch break and then take a guided hike with a naturalist. Island naturalists are trained on the unique nature and cultural resources found in Channel Islands National Park and they have a large repertoire of activities to reinforce the information they present.
We will be leaving Ventura for the island at 9am and arriving back to Ventura by approximately 5pm.
Educator Package: Includes educational resources, interactive project ideas, trip organization, direct experiential opportunities to help better connect the experience with your students and complimentary chaperone ticket. Does not include student ticket.
Student Package: Includes engaging pre and post educational field trip activities, trip organization and student ticket.
All packages include routrip boat ride and guided tour.
Please read prior to registering:
The boat trip will take 1 hour. Be prepared to step from the boat to a ladder. You will climb 2-5 rungs to the pier. The distance of the hike can range from 2-3 miles round trip. Trails will include an elevation change of 200-300 feet, including some steep rocky terrain. All trail combinations are rated "Moderate" by the Park Service.
- AGE/GRADE REQUIREMENTS: Field trip is for grades K-12
- ALLERGY ALERT: Please let us know right away if your student has a food allergy so we can make any necessary arrangements
- CANCELLATION/REFUND POLICY: Tickets for field trips will remain on sale until sold out. Once a field trip closes, we are unable to offer refunds.
- FOOD/DRINK RESTRICTIONS: This is an all day excursion. Please bring plenty of food and water, including snacks. We will be eating lunch on the island. There is potable water to fill your water bottles. You will need to pack out all of your own trash.
- MEETING INSTRUCTIONS: We will be meeting at 8:15 at Ventura Harbor. There will be an email going out a week prior with more meetup details.
- PARKING INSTRUCTIONS: There is plenty of parking onsite.
- SICK POLICY: To ensure the health and safety of all attendees, please do not attend a field trip if you or your student(s) is ill or showing possible signs of illness.
- RELEASE OF LIABILTY: When registering, make sure to read and understand the Release of Liabiliy Policy before submitting your order
*This venue is not supported by IEM Charter (South Sutter, Ocean Grove, Sky Mountain)
If you are a parent using charter school funds, you will still need to register here for the event in order to hold your spot. Use the coupon code listed below when checking out. You will also need to put in your order with your charter school. They will reach out to us with your request and this will confirm your field trip reservation.
Charter Coupon Code: CHARTER
- Ticket type
Package TypePriceFrom $59.00 to $69.00
- Student Package$59.00
- Educator Package$69.00