Time is TBD|
(SOLD OUT) California State Capitol Tour (1)
Discover the architecture, history, and development of the California State Capitol from its initial formation 150 years ago to the modern day!
Time & Location
Time is TBD
Sacramento, 1315 10th St, Sacramento, CA 95814, USA
About the event
The California State Capitol is the seat of the California government, located in Sacramento, the capital of California. The Capitol building serves as both a museum and the state’s working seat of government. The building houses the chambers of the California State Legislature, made up of the California State Assembly and the California State Senate, along with the office of the Governor of California. Visitors to the Capitol can at once experience California’s rich history and witness the making of history through the modern lawmaking process.
While the Capitol was still under reconstruction, the Legislature hired and trained both staff and volunteers to interpret the restoration of the Capitol. In the early 1990s, the Legislature contracted with the California Department of Parks and Recreation, also known as California State Parks, to perform these interpretative duties for the Capitol and to manage the museum and exhibits. State Parks absorbed the legislative staff and volunteers, and hired and trained new staff.
The Legislature, with the assistance of the State Parks, worked diligently to recreate the historic rooms to their appearance in the early twentieth century. An intensive research effort began to gather furnishings, artifacts, and artwork, as well as to create interpretive materials and set up ongoing curation for the historic materials and rooms.
Discover the architecture, history, and development of the California State Capitol from its initial formation 150 years ago to the modern day.
School Tour Grade Levels: Tours of the State Capitol Museum are designed for students in the 4th grade through High School but all grade levels are welcome
Museum Location: On 10th Street between "L" and "N" Streets in downtown Sacramento Parking: Metered automobile parking is also available around the Capitol Building.
Group Entrance Information: When you arrive, please gather at the entrance to the building on the "N" Street side.
State Capitol Building Rules
1. Minors must remain with their adult leader(s) at all times.
2. Keep voices quiet. There are working offices throughout the building.
3. Use stairs. Students are not to use the elevators. Physically challenged persons may use elevators.
4. Stay to the right on stairs and in hallways, going up and down.
5. Do not leave any items unattended. Please leave unnecessary items on your school or group bus.
State Senate and Assembly Gallery Rules 1. Cameras and backpacks are checked in at the gallery door when in session.
2. Everyone must pass through the metal detector when in session.
3. Limit your visit to five minutes when others are waiting.
4. Remain seated. Do not lean over the rail.
Limited to 34 people (students, chaperones)
$12 per person (students/chaperones) Students, chaperones and siblings ages 5 and older must each buy a ticket
Siblings age 4 and under are free
All groups arriving at the Capitol will have their personal possessions X-rayed, and the
visitors will go through a metal detector. Please allow sufficient time (5-10 minutes) in additon to the time needed to find parking and meet up. Tour starts promptly at 10 and we will not be able to wait for anyone that is late.
- AGE/GRADE REQUIREMENTS: Tour is geared for 4th grade but all grades are welcome.
- ALLERGY ALERT: Please let us know right away if your student has a food allergy so we can make any necessary arrangements
- CANCELLATION/REFUND POLICY: Tickets for field trips will remain on sale until sold out or at the cut off date listed on the event, whichever comes first. Changes to your order can be made only while the field trip is open. Once a field trip closes, we are unable to offer refunds. Issues with orders such as insufficient or incomplete funds withdrawal may be subject to cancellation.
- CHAPERONE POLICY FOR TEACHER-LED FIELD TRIPS: Instructional funds may be used to order 1 adult/chaperone ticket per 4 enrolled students and 2 adult/chaperone tickets per 5 or more enrolled students.An adult chaperone is required to accompany student(s) on a field trip regardless of the student(s)' age or grade level(s).
- FOOD/DRINK RESTRICTIONS: Food and drinks may not be consumed inside. There are park benches outside.
- EDUCATIONAL MATERIAL: To download lesson plans and activity sheets please click here Educational Resources
- MEETING INSTRUCTIONS: Please gather at entrance on the "N" Street side.
- PARKING INSTRUCTIONS: On-street metered parking is available during regular business hours. Many garages are cash only. The museum store does not have the ability to provide for cash back nor change for meters. Please build in ample time for traffic and locating parking.
- SICK POLICY: To ensure the health and safety of all attendees, please do not attend a field trip if you or your student(s) is ill or showing possible signs of illness.
- RELEASE OF LIABILTY: When registering, make sure to read and understand the Release of Liabiliy Policy before submitting your order
If using charter school funds, you will still need to register for the event in order to reserve your spot. Use the coupon code listed below when checking out.
Charter Fund Code: CHARTER