Wed, Mar 01|
(SOLD OUT) Bohart Museum of Entomolgy Tour
Come see the 7th largest insect collection in North America!!
Time & Location
Mar 01, 2023, 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
Davis, University of California, Davis, Academic Surge, Room 1124, Building, 455 Crocker Ln, Davis, CA 95616, USA
About the event
Bohart Museum of Entomolgy has the seventh largest insect collection in North America, and is worldwide in coverage. The collection holdings total more than seven million specimens of terrestrial and fresh water arthropods. The museum is also home of the California Insect Survey, a storehouse of the insect biodiversity of California's deserts, mountains, coast, and the Great Central Valley. After the tour, the UC Davis Arboratorium is a right next door and worth checking out if you want to see their collection of 22,000 plants, trees and flowers
- AGE/GRADE REQUIREMENTS: K-12
- ALLERGY ALERT: Please let us know right away if your student has a food allergy so we can make any necessary arrangements
- CANCELLATION/REFUND POLICY: Tickets for field trips will remain on sale until sold out or at the cut off date listed on the event, whichever comes first. Changes to your order can be made only while the field trip is open. Once a field trip closes, we are unable to offer refunds. Issues with orders such as insufficient or incomplete funds withdrawal may be subject to cancellation.
- CHAPERONE POLICY FOR TEACHER-LED FIELD TRIPS: Instructional funds may be used to order 1 adult/chaperone ticket per 4 enrolled students and 2 adult/chaperone tickets per 5 or more enrolled students. An adult chaperone is required to accompany student(s) on a field trip regardless of the student(s)' age or grade level(s).
- FOOD/DRINK RESTRICTIONS: No food or drink is allowed inside the museum.
- EDUCATIONAL MATERIAL: Each of these are 5 minute nature videos called "Deep Look" a series of on-line videos from KQED, the public broadcasting system in San Francisco. Some favorite titles that stem from UC Davis are:
- "A Tse-tse fly births one enormous milk-fed baby" (with the UC Davis Attardo Lab)
- "This dangerous mosquito lays her armored eggs - in your house" (with the UC Davis Attardo Lab)
- "Watch this bee build her bee-jeweled nest" (with the UC Davis Williams Lab)
- For a nominal fee of $25 educators, parents, group leaders, student teachers can borrow (curbside pick-up and drop-off) our educational materials (several Oh My! drawers and a few types of live animals) to integrate into their curriculum. They have been borrowed for biology, nature, engineering, art, creative writing, and career fairs. The loan can be anywhere from a day to a week. We will provide information and training on the animals and are happy to discuss curriculum ideas with you. Please contact the Bohart at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve materials and arrange for a safe time to pick-up and drop-off.
- Oh My! Drawers These are themed cases with pinned insect specimens inside. Some of the themes are: Coleoptera (beetles), Lepidoptera (butterflies and moths), California insects, Camouflage, Eating Insects, Arachnids, Fly fishing, etc. Live Insects We have several different species of walking sticks, cockroaches, tarantulas and others. We will give you information about the animals and how to care for them. (Don't worry, arthropods don't need as much care as mammals.) Some of them can even be held. This is a great way to observe and experience insects without the hassle of acquiring your own.
- MEETING INSTRUCTIONS: Please allow yourself enough time to get there and park. We will be meeting out front at the entrance. Please be on time as the tour starts promptly at 10:00. Tours happen rain or shine so please dress appropriately
- PARKING INSTRUCTIONS: The cost of a daily parking varies. The campus uses ParkMobile, an on-line app for payment. It is easiest if you download it prior to arriving. The closest Visitor Parking lot is 47, but this is often full. The other option is parking over in the Gateway Structure** and lots P1 & P2 next to the Mondavi Center. Please click on the link to see a parking map of the area PARKING MAP
- SICK POLICY: To ensure the health and safety of all attendees, please do not attend a field trip if you or your student(s) is ill or showing possible signs of illness.
- RELEASE OF LIABILTY: When registering, make sure to read and understand the Release of Liabiliy Policy before submitting your order
Charter Coupon Code: CHARTER