Mon, Apr 03|
Nimbus Fish Hatchery
Fostering connections between humans and nature!
Time & Location
Apr 03, 2023, 9:00 AM – 11:30 AM
Gold River, 2001 Nimbus Rd, Gold River, CA 95670, USA
About the event
Recommend for: Ages 5-18
This is a guided tour by the naturalists at Nimbus Fish Hatchery. They will split our class into two groups - one for ages 5-8 and another for ages 9 and up.
Before the dams were built and before the increasing human use of the streams and rivers, salmon and steelhead returned from the ocean to the river of their birth, to renew the cycle of life. In the ocean, they found a rich source of food. In the cool running streams of the American River, they found a safe habitat for their young.
The completion of Nimbus Dam (1955) and Folsom Dam (1956) prevented salmon and steelhead from reaching most of their historic spawning areas. The Bureau of Reclamation, which operates the dams, built and funds the Nimbus Fish Hatchery to mitigate (make up for) the loss of spawning habitat and help maintain salmon and steelhead populations.
The California Department of Fish and Game operates the hatchery, annually producing 4,000,000 Chinook salmon and 430,000 steelhead trout.
Class is limited to 25 students.
$12 per student.
Chaperones and siblings 4 years and younger are free. When registering, please note if siblings will be attending so we can better accommodate the group size.
- AGE/GRADE REQUIREMENTS: K-12
- ALLERGY ALERT: Please let us know right away if your student has a food allergy so we can make any necessary arrangements
- CANCELLATION/REFUND POLICY: Tickets for field trips will remain on sale until sold out or at the cut off date listed on the event, whichever comes first. Changes to your order can be made only while the field trip is open. Once a field trip closes, we are unable to offer refunds. Issues with orders such as insufficient or incomplete funds withdrawal may be subject to cancellation.
- CHAPERONE POLICY FOR TEACHER-LED FIELD TRIPS: Instructional funds may be used to order 1 adult/chaperone ticket per 4 enrolled students and 2 adult/chaperone tickets per 5 or more enrolled students. An adult chaperone is required to accompany student(s) on a field trip regardless of the student(s)' age or grade level(s).
- FOOD/DRINK RESTRICTIONS:No fish food, gum, food or drinks are allowed inside the Visitor Center. Picnic tables are available outside. For those that want to stay and walk the nearby trails afterward, please bring a packed lunch to eat at the tables outside.
- EDUCATIONAL MATERIAL: Please click on the links below
- Visitors Guide
- Teacher Packet
- MEETING INSTRUCTIONS: Please allow yourself enough time to get there and park. We will be meeting out front at the picnic tables until our guide comes out to greet us. Tours happen rain or shine so please dress appropriately
- PARKING INSTRUCTIONS: Parking is free in the lot right outside of the hatchery.
- SICK POLICY: To ensure the health and safety of all attendees, please do not attend a field trip if you or your student(s) is ill or showing possible signs of illness.
- RELEASE OF LIABILTY: When registering, make sure to read and understand the Release of Liabiliy Policy before submitting your order
If you are a parent using charter school funds, you will still need to register here for the event in order to hold your spot. Use the coupon code listed below when checking out. You will also need to put in your order with your charter school. They will reach out to us with your request and this will confirm your field trip reservation.
Charter Coupon Code: CHARTER