Tue, Sep 26|
Donner Memorial State Park Field Trip And Water Exploration
Time & Location
Sep 26, 2023, 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Truckee, 12593 Donner Pass Rd, Truckee, CA 96161, USA
About the event
Donner History Video (26-minutes). Free exploration in museum with scavenger hunt. There will be a 30 minute break for lunch and then park staff will lead a guided hike (along Nature Trail and Donner Lake) to learn about the natural and cultural history of the area. *Scavenger Hunt: Please print copies of this Scavenger Hunt https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sXIA61QTfrGWmgxan... (self-guided) for DMSP Exhibits if you plan to facilitate this activity with your students. *Donner History Video: The 26-minute long video screens in the main theater :15 after every hour (e.g. 11:15am, 12:15am, etc.) How to Prepare for your field trip? Before arriving in the park, if you have more than 30 students, please organize your students into 2 separate groups with a minimum ratio of 1:10 (adult:child). We accept up to 60 students for a field trip. Review these optional Resources for Teachers about the park and Historical References. Educational Resources:
Scavenger Hunt for Donner Memorial SP Visitor Center - self guided
Park Interpretive Content and Historic References - Donner Docent website
What to expect on arrival? Restrooms located inside of our visitor center. For directions, click here. Weather-permitting, students will walk a ½ mile nature loop (wheelchair accessible), break for lunch, explore the visitor center exhibits. If you have more than 30 students, there will be two rotations (see schedule). What about parking? There is no fee associated with parking for registered school groups at Donner Memorial State Park. Your free parking permit(s) will be emailed to you a week before your trip in a reminder email and must be printed and displayed in the dash of the vehicle. For immediate questions or concerns regarding your in-person field trip, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. What do I bring? Weather in the Sierra Nevada’s may fluctuate. Make sure to wear comfortable walking shoes, bring sun protection and an extra warm layer. Please bring water bottles and snacks/lunch. Drinking water, bathrooms, and public Wifi is available at the Visitor Center. Chaperones Chaperones are responsible for guiding participant behavior and keeping the group together and focused on the program. We ask that chaperones play an active role in managing student behavior during the course of the field trip. If teachers or chaperones need to take a phone call, please step away so that we can keep the children's attention. Miscellaneous Please bring a first aid kit for your group. Extreme weather may cancel field trips if transportation to/from the park is unsafe.
Student Package: Includes interactive project ideas, fun and interesting facts and engaging activities.
- AGE/GRADE REQUIREMENTS: Field trip is for grades K-12
- ALLERGY ALERT: Please let us know right away if your student has a food allergy so we can make any necessary arrangements
- CANCELLATION/REFUND POLICY: Tickets for field trips will remain on sale until sold out or at the cut off date listed on the event, whichever comes first. Changes to your order can be made only while the field trip is open. Once a field trip closes, we are unable to offer refunds. Issues with orders such as insufficient or incomplete funds withdrawal may be subject to cancellation.
- FOOD/DRINK RESTRICTIONS: Food and drinks may be purchased inside. If you are bringing a packed lunch, we will be eating at Roeding Park just right outside but you are free to eat at the zoo if you wish.
- MEETING INSTRUCTIONS: Please gather at entrance by 9:45. Please be on time as we will be entering together as a group promtly at 10am.
- PARKING INSTRUCTIONS: Upon entering, you will be given state park entrance permits.
- SICK POLICY: To ensure the health and safety of all attendees, please do not attend a field trip if you or your student(s) is ill or showing possible signs of illness.
- RELEASE OF LIABILTY: When registering, make sure to read and understand the Release of Liabiliy Policy before submitting your order
If you are a parent using charter school funds, you will still need to register here for the event in order to hold your spot. Use the coupon code listed below when checking out. You will also need to put in your order with your charter school. They will reach out to us with your request and this will confirm your field trip reservation.
Charter Coupon Code: CHARTER