Fri, Feb 02|
Dissections with Lab Rat Academy
Students can investigate the biology of an animal and learn about it’s adaptations, organs, and systems with this hands-on dissection lab facilitated by an education specialist from Lab Rat Academy.
Time & Location
Feb 02, 2024, 9:00 AM – 2:30 PM
Roseville, 1501 Pleasant Grove Blvd, Roseville, CA 95747, USA
About the event
Students can investigate the biology of an animal and learn about it’s adaptations, organs, and systems with this hands-on dissection lab facilitated by an education specialist from Lab Rat Academy. Students are given opportunity to study and explore the complexities of internal anatomy in memorable, tangible, and eye-opening ways. Seeing the intricacies of an animal's organs and inner workings helps them develop a deeper understanding of and respect for life and the natural world. Studying an animal’s internal anatomy reveals so much about the specific and amazing ways in which they move, eat, reproduce, regulate their functions, and more!
We will have 3 different labs throughout the day. You can choose one or two or do all three if you wish
Times and labs are listed below.
Earthworms belong to the phylum annelida, referring to the rings or segments of the worm’s body. Ideal specimens for teaching both dissection and basic anatomy, earthworms provide an opportunity for students to practice dissection techniques before progressing to more complex specimens. Students will be able to apply observational and analytical skills, learn basic anatomy based on the earthworm’s highly developed internal systems and investigate simple digestive, nervous, reproductive, and circulatory systems.
Recommended for grades 1-12
In this advanced anatomy lab, the anatomical structures of several aquatic organisms will be identified and discussed through a thorough, inquiry-based dissection of the each specimen. Students will follow detailed step-by-step instructions to dissect and conduct a careful survey of the major systems of the organisms. Many organs and structures found in these animals can be compared to several organs, systems and structures of the human body. Recommended for grades 4-12.
Heart dissection reveals the intricacies required of a heart to pump blood. This hands-on experience shows students the differences between and roles of the right side of the heart and the left side of the heart in a memorable way. Students explore the interdependence of organ systems and investigate the specific structures and functions of each organ. Through observation and dissection, students will locate and identify the external and internal features of mammalian organs.
Lab Rat Academy’s Anatomy Labs cover the basics for learning how to dissect preserved and fresh organisms using safety equipment. Safety glasses, gloves, lab aprons, as well as scalpels and other dissecting equipment will be provided for each student.
All labs are designed to meet CDC, local, and state health and safety standards.
Student Package: Includes interactive project ideas, fun and interesting facts, engaging pre and post field trip activities and student field trip participation.
Charter Coupon Code: CHARTER
If paying out of pocket there is a $10 discount.
Coupon Code: LAB
- AGE/GRADE REQUIREMENTS: 1st-12th
- CANCELLATION/REFUND POLICY: Tickets for field trips will remain on sale until sold out or at the cut off date listed on the event, whichever comes first. Changes to your order can be made only while the field trip is open. Once a field trip closes, we are unable to offer refunds.
- CHAPERONE POLICY: An adult chaperone is required to accompany student(s) on a field trip regardless of the student(s)' age or grade level(s).
- FOOD/DRINK RESTRICTIONS: Water is permitted. If you need to eat, there are plenty of places outside the dissection room to do so.
- MEETING INSTRUCTIONS: Please plan on arriving 10 minutes prior to your lab. Labs will start on time and your student may miss important information if arriving late.
- PARKING INSTRUCTIONS: There is plenty of space to park in the venue parking lot
- SICK POLICY: To ensure the health and safety of all attendees, please do not attend a field trip if you or your student(s) is ill or showing possible signs of illness.
- RELEASE OF LIABILTY: When registering, make sure to read and understand the Release of Liabiliy Policy before submitting your order